Top Tips for Coronavirus (COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2)
Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). SARS-CoV-2 is the cause of a new infectious disease that can affect your respiratory system and has flu like symptoms including cough, fever, headache and breathing difficulties.
Scientific research has shown that some people are more susceptible than others with some having mild symptoms and others having severe life-threatening illness.
Tips for prevention include washing your hands frequently for a minimum of 20 seconds, avoid touching your face, avoid touching other people, eat cooked foods and keep at least a 2 meter distance from other people.
Avoid sharing personal items, avoid public places or crowds, clean surfaces and clothes regularly and self-isolate if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms.
At present there is no treatment or vaccine available for coronavirus.
People are advised to treat this infectious disease at home in isolation unless life-threatening symptoms arise.
What can you do at home that can help you to get through this coronavirus pandemic?
How can you boost your immune system and prevent further infections? How can you increase the chances of recovery?
Here are Top Natural Home Tips for COVID-19:
- Boost your immunity naturally with immunity boosting foods that you can have at home. These include broccoli, lemons, green tea, turmeric, garlic, red bell peppers, limes, clementine’s, chickpeas, beans, grapefruit, berries, ginger, kiwi, carrots, spinach, papaya, fermented foods, almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, peanut butter, lentils and peas. It is important to keep a varied and colourful diet to promote health and well-being so avoid eating too much of the same food.
- Herbs have been used since ancient times to treat viral infections. The best herbs with antiviral properties include oregano, rosemary, echinacea, astragalus, phytolacca, hypericum, Damask rose, fennel, sage, dandelion, ginseng, elderberry, astragalus, lemon balm, garlic, peppermint, licorice and ginger. Some of these antiviral herbs are available in supermarkets and you can take them as a tea, syrup, tincture or even add them to your food.
- Keep hydrated and warm by having warm drinks regularly.
- Essential oils have been shown to have antiviral properties and have been used traditionally to fight viral infections. Essential oils with antiviral activity include eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree, anise, thyme, melissa, lemon myrtle, ravensara, cinnamon bark, clove bud, rosemary, manuka, niaouli, ravintsara and saro. Essential oils need to be used with care and always diluted in a carrier oil when applied to the skin. The essential oils described above can be used safely by healthy adults. They can be used to destroy and prevent viral respiratory infections by applying a couple of drops of the essential oil into plastic free inhalers, cloth, tissue, rollerball or steam inhaler and inhaling the essential oil.
- Top natural remedies for cough include hot beverages, honey tea, ginger, turmeric, slippery elm, marsmallow root, thyme, peppermint, garlic, marjoram, cayenne pepper, gargle warm water with sea salt, N-acetylcysteine, steam using a bowl or steam inhaler with a few drops of the essential oil described above and probiotics.
Every little helps and there is nothing like using nature to keep you strong and healthy!